Arkansas Units at Port Hudson (Continued)

 

14th Arkansas Infantry Regiment

The 14th Arkansas Infantry Regiment was present at Port Hudson when General Franklin Gardner took overall command in December, 1862, and it was placed under the command of General William Beall, who would be responsible for defending the Confederate center.  On the morning of the the May 27th Union attack, the 14th fought in the area known as the "Bull Pen".  During the siege period, the unit was under the command of General Beall where they fought until the surrender.

(From the National Park Service Civil War Soldier's and Sailor's System web site)

14th (Mitchell's-Powers') Infantry Regiment was organized during the fall of 1861 with 939 officers and men recruited in the northwestern region of the state.  It fought at Elkhorn Tavern and later moved east of the Mississippi River .  The regiment reported 17 casualties out of the 116 engaged at Iuka, and there were 12 wounded and 2 missing at Corinth.  It was then assigned to Beall's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, and in April, 1863, united with Crockett's 18th and Lyles' 23rd Arkansas Regiments.  This command was captured at Port Hudson on July 9.  After being exchanged, the 14th was not reorganized.  Its commanders were Colonels Eli Dodson, M. C. Mitchell, and Frank P. Powers; Lieutenant Colonel Pleasant Fowler; and Majors John Allen, E. H. Messick, and J. H. Messick.

15th Arkansas Infantry Regiment

The 15th Arkansas Regiment (Johnson's) arrived at Port Hudson on November 1, 1863 and was placed under the command of General William Beall, who was responsible for defending the center of the Confederate lines.  When General Gardner reorganized his forces in May, 1863, he placed the 15th Arkansas under the command of Colonel I.G.W. Steedman defending the Confederate left, where they fought until the surrender.  They occupied the position in the left-center known as "Fort Desperate"

For a detailed description and history of the 15th Arkansas Regiment, see this page on this site:

15th Arkansas Infantry Regiment (Gee-Johnson)

16th Arkansas Infantry Regiment

The 16th Arkansas Regiment arrived at Port Hudson on November 1, 1863 and was placed under the command of General William Beall, who would be responsible for defending the Confederate center. During the Union assault of May 27th, the 16th first opposed General Sherman's attack at Slaughter's field, then moved north along the line to defend against General Augur's attack.

(From the National Park Service Civil War Soldier's and Sailor's System web site)

16th Infantry Regiment completed its organization at Rogers, Benton County, Arkansas, in November, 1861, then moved to Elm Springs and remained there until February, 1862.  Its members were recruited in the counties of Johnson, Carroll, Stone, Washington, Pike, Madison, and Searcy.  The 16th was involved in the fight at Elkhorn Tavern and after the battle had 24 officers and 282 men present for duty.  Ordered east of the Mississippi River, it took an active part in the conflicts at Iuka and Corinth where it reported 13 killed and 29 wounded.  Later the unit was assigned to Beall's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, and was captured when Port Hudson fell.  It was not reorganized after the exchange.  The field officers were Colonels J. F. Hill and David Provence, Lieutenant Colonels William T. Neal and Benjamin T. Pixlee, and Majors Samuel Farmer and J. M. Pittman.

18th Arkansas Infantry Regiment

The 18th Arkansas Regiment arrived at Port Hudson on November 1, 1863 and was placed under the command of General William Beall, who would be responsible for defending the Confederate center.   During the battle of May 27th, the unit was moved to the command of Colonel I.G.W Steedman defending the Confederate left.

(From the National Park Service Civil War Soldier's and Sailor's System web site)

18th (Carroll's-Daly's-Crockett's) Infantry Regiment was assembled at Devall's Bluff, Arkansas, during the summer of 1861.  Some of its members were from Camden, De Witt, and Pine Bluff.  With about 1,000 men it moved to Fort Pillow, Tennessee and was decimated by disease . Ordered to Corinth, where conditions were no better, many continued to suffer from sickness.  Its strength was down to 425 effectives at Iuka, and in the fight of Corinth it lost 12 killed, 34 wounded, and 82 missing.  Later it was assigned to Beall's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana.  In April, 1863, the unit was united with Power's 14th and Lyles' 23rd Arkansas Regiments and in July was captured at Port Hudson.   After being exchanged, it was reorganized and mounted.  Attached to General Dockery's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi Department, the 18th fought at Marks' Mills and Jenkins' Ferry, and later disbanded.  Colonels D. W. Carroll, Robert H. Crockett, and John N. Daly; Lieutenant Colonel W. N. Parish; and Major Samuel H. Sutherland were its commanders.

23rd Arkansas Infantry Regiment

The 23rd Arkansas Regiment arrived at Port Hudson on November 1, 1863 and was placed under the command of General William Beall, who would be responsible for defending the Confederate center.  During the May 27th Union attack, the 23rd fought in the area known as the "Commissary Hill".  During the siege period, the unit was under the command of General Beall where they fought until the surrender.

(From the National Park Service Civil War Soldier's and Sailor's System web site)

23rd (Lyles') Infantry Regiment, originally C. W. Adams' 23rd Regiment, was organized at Helena, Arkansas, during the spring of 1862 . Its members were from the counties of Craighead, Phillips, St. Francis, Monroe, Cross, Poinsett, and Chicot.  The unit fought in the conflicts at Corinth and Hatchie Bridge and reported 5 killed, 23 wounded, and 116 missing.  Later it was assigned to General Beall's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana.  In April, 1863, it was united with Powers' 14th and Crockett's 18th Arkansas Regiments, and in July was captured at Port Hudson.  After being exchanged and mounted, the regiment served in the Trans-Mississippi Department and took an active part in Price's Missouri Expedition.  It surrendered on May 16, 1865, near Memphis, Tennessee.  The field officers were Colonel Oliver P. Lyles, and Lieutenant Colonels Erastus L. Black and A. H. Pennington.

Search Database for Arkansas Soldiers


| Port Hudson Home |